2010 Goals

2010 Goals

So this was a hard decision. So much to do, so many places to choose from. So many different things I still want to do. But this became the list as the year started:

*find a way to not have to work so much
*talk someone into doing an unsupported expedition length event with me in 2010/ 2011
*NUE: do a few 100s, maybe try in west again?
*Finish as many marathon length (XXC) double race weekends as I can.
*Tour de Burg-7/10-finish this 2nd overall attempt 6 day stage race!! Finish ALL portions, including the head shave contest;-)
*6HOP-attempt to defend Coed Duo title.
*Be ready for another stage event in early fall, not sure which one.

*BIGGEST GOAL: to always exercise each day in some way!



Thursday, July 15, 2010

Muskingham Mayhem @ The Wilds, OH

ok, so I really need to do something longer and try to go faster for a workout. But...not really ready for a long race & need to save some cash. So, I see a small annual trail fund raiser event is going on just a short drive away at the Wilds OH in which you can pick your mileage and your pace, have some aide stations/sag available AND get lunch, dinner/beer for $20, AND get a course laid out not only through the Wilds sweet singletrack but also through the wild outdoor zoo area....woah....this is incredible deal, so I head on out with the intent to camp afterwards and do the OMBC race the next day as well.

For the Mayhem, you could pick a basic marked loop of either 40 OR 60 miles (later found out the course gps was only ~54 or so)...or you could follow some locals and shortcut through like a piece of swiss cheese and do the casual thing. I was IN for the 60....at the first course split it was obvious not many were taking this option. splitting off with a few men I got a little nervous knowing they would drop me in a minute & I'd be left to the chance of wrong turns all day long. But whatev...down the split I went.

Nearing the end of the split, still with another rider in sight, suddenly the merged courses became confusing. We climbed, then turned around and went back down, then climbed the same climb again, then went back down......this is when we see STEPHE....merging from the 40 course....coming up the hill. OMG....I yell "is this the right way??? huh huh huh. is it???" Stephe is having asthma and cant get the answer out fast enough for my anxiousness, I rudely yell "what are you walking for??" he calmly says, "I have bad asthma and cannot breathe right now". "ok well save a breath & tell me which friggin way to go".....thankfully he has an idea of the course and points us along. Thankfully Stephe is with us for the next hour or so as I continue to need redirection several more times during this section! Thanks Stephe & hope your asthma is getting better & most people you run into are nicer than me!!! :-)

I determine my pace is a little slow for my goal today so attempt to pick it up, hitting the lunch check before you know it. It's pretty well stocked, everything is out, and with limited help you just needed to get your own stuff and make your own sandwich if you wanted one, but it was cool because there really wasn't a big crowd.

The second 40/60 split diverted to some longer gravel road climbing followed by a long descent right back to the course. One more gravel climb to a water check, then it's onon through the rest of the Wilds zoo, back through the Wilds loopy singletrack, to the finish & a sweet grilled dinner with tons of food!!

I cannot say where or when I have gotten so much for $20 before in my life! This event was organized well, the course was super, and the aide/food was awesome! It was marked well enough, although in my rush I was not always paying attention. It is timed, but not a race at all, so everyone can get what they want out of the ride. Total people were about 80 which was a good enough size yet not overcrowded or running out of food, still with a very grassroots feel to it.

Needless to say I totally burned myself out attempting to rush through the course, and decided not to camp for the OMBC much as I wanted to. I mean all this for $20, followed by a short course for $30 without all the luxuries? Seemed pretty silly:-)

If you've never been to the Wilds & up for the mileage, look up this event next year hosted by the AOA of Ohio, in conjunction with OMBC:

http://joinomba.org/aoa/

http://ombc.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=94&Itemid=126

1 comment:

  1. If you didn't ask for directions, we may have never become friends. :-)

    ReplyDelete